Friday, December 12, 2008

I want to be a better person!

I just came back from this second iPhone training session at Singtel, it was a total duplicate, even the presentation was almost identical as the first, I guess the presenter didn't expect existing promoters to go down. Well, if nothing new was to be learnt, I shot many questions, and was more or less answered to satisfaction. One conclusion I've made is that it's not really important for me to be able to answer all the questions my customers ask me, what's more important is for me to know what they do no know and from there explore their needs and in the end, sell the iPhone. If you ask me, I'd say that iPhone is a wonderful device, albeit with a few cutbacks that makes it a little prickly to acknowledge. We all accept that men are not perfect, why can't we also accept that the iPhone is not perfect as well. Not being perfect is not the end of the world, at least there is still room for improvement, and I've heard that people are working on the issues raised, and hopefully they get corrected in time.

OK, now the main point of this entry. On the way home, thoughts were going on in my head. Random thoughts, about how to be a better salesperson, how to be a better friend, how to be a better daughter to my parents...all in all, how to be a better person. All through life, we make goals for ourselves, to have a direction. I'm pretty sure all us post-A'lvl peeps who suddenly realized they now have nothing to work for, no expectations, unlike when we mugged really hard for the exams, it was hard, but it wasn't boring. It kind of dawned upon me during the first week after A'lvl was over, that end of A'lvl doesn't mean the end of studying, or to the end of hard work, it also didn't directly equate to spending money without restraint. Post A'lvl is the period of time when we do not commit to any full-time institutions, we have our say in the management of our own time. And it is this period of time, where I felt is the most important, because it is time for us to figure out important things we want or want to achieve in life. Moreover, I don't think 'play' is going to be the most part of it. But it doesn't mean not 'having fun'. Recently, I've come to terms with myself that 'play' does not equate to 'having fun'. I used to think, 'fun' is a subset of 'play', but now I've understood, it should be the other way round, where 'play' actually comes under 'fun'. The simple understanding is that we can have fun anytime, anywhere, and playing is just one way of having fun, and who's to say that you can't have fun while working??

Back to my thoughts. So I was listening to the radio on the bus, the djs were talking about "Good Friends". Everyone's definition of 'good friend' differs, it kind of depends on what you expect from your friend and what you expect yourself to your friend. So the djs were discussing their good friends, saying that these good friends may not always be around, you might not be able to meet up in a very long time, but that does not diminish their value as a great friend. Good friends are always there for you, probably not physically there, they could be far far away on the other side of the globe, but their thoughts travel far across to stay with you. Good friends may not always have the whole world to talk about, sometimes a simple glance can keep you smiling the whole day, coz you know your feelings have been received. Good friends may not be just the ones who would fight for you, they are also the ones who listen to you even though they may not be able to help, they are the ones offering a shoulder to cry on. After hearing all these, I asked myself whether I have done all these to my friends. I realized that most of the time I am more concerned about what I get from my friends than what I can do for them..this really made me feel ashamed of myself. I have noticed that when with friends, it is always that others ask for my needs, and I seldom ask for theirs. I call myself 'self-centred'...which i now list as the number one thing to change about myself...I must learn how to put others needs before my own, because I see the truth in giving, rather than receiving. Or put it another way, I receive more while giving. This may sound old, chao lao, cliched, whatever...I really felt this way, so I am going to do this, seriously, I am going to do this! so ok, first step to being a better person: GIVE more than TAKE.

To be continued....