Tuesday, March 10, 2009

About Yourself

"So tell me more about yourself."
"..."
This is one question that I was unable to answer, for three freaking times in a row for a bloody job interview. It's not that I have nothing to say about myself, but on the total contrary, I have so much to tell that I dunno where to begin.
Actually I think the question is posted in my favor, because it is an opening for me to display my qualities and let the interviewer get to know me better. It's just like me promoting the phone, honestly presenting the good things and secretly hiding the shortcomings. It is therefore a form of packaging, and I shall proceed to examine how to package myself in order to sell myself off to the panel of interviewers. I googled "about myself" and I came across this blog where the author wrote this list called "50 things I like about myself", claiming this a good exercise to get to know thyself, so I think I shall try.
Here goes, I love the fact that:
1. I am honest and frank.
2. I am sensitive towards people's feelings
3. I have no religion, but have strong belief in myself
4. I am passionate in the things I do
5. and I do things I'm passionate about
6. I'm still closely in touch with my roots and culture while growing up in a culture melting pot.
7. I'm a mixture of culture myself
8. My interests span far and wide
9. So do my hobbies
10. I believe in "survival of the fittest"
11. I understand it as survival by adapting to changes and not by sheer strength or power
12. I am confident
13. and this confidence is built on failures and successes alike
14. I have a great sense of humour
15. sometimes with me being the joke itself
16. I am adventurous
17. I do crazy things just because I've never done it before
18. I am creative, my mind is constantly brewing crazy ideas that I sometimes scare myself
19. I cut my own hair
20. I love to think
21. and I often ask questions that seem nonsensical
22. I love to do things differently, but not for the sake of being different.
23. I am mature but innocent
24. I have learnt not to judge people or anything by their appearance
25. I think art and science are inseparable
26. I am filial to my parents, and loyal to my friends
27. I was raised in a strict and warm family
28. I love Chinese literature
29. I love to read
30. I read on a vast range of subjects
31. I am open-minded
32. I believe in "70% passion and 30% hardwork"
33. I am me
34. I love what I want to study
35. I have many dreams
36. I am still passionate about Manga and Anime
37. I have a knack at learning languages
38. I love to earn money
39. I collect different job experiences
40. I love my friends
41. and they love me
42. I have recovered from pride bruises, emerging more humble
43. I respect the elderly or anyone older than me
44. I am learning to see things in long term and in macro
45. I am fun, energetic, bubbly and caring
46. I cry when I want to
47. I prefer to finish a task without stopping
48. I see the fun side of things
49. I'm optimistic
50. I lead not by strength or power, but by understanding